Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Kathleen M's Post - Day 2

Day 2, July 15, 2008

After a super productive morning booking college interviews and tours for the 17 year old daughter and me (Part Deux of the Road trip East for KM), I arrived all bright-eyed and bushy-tailed for Alan November's session on LEADERSHIP in schools, and he exhausted me over the four hour session.

I met some great folk from England, heard about how much more enlightened educators are in other parts of the world and readjusted my lofty vision of technology at MCDS and the work yet to be done.

So, take aways?

I bought gift certificates on KIVA for my kids to teach them about microfinance and understand a more global sense of the value of money and what "need" really is. This made me the happiest of anything I've done so far here.

I also got on Google maps, learned more about online social networks, attempted to enhance my own understanding of how google and wikipedia work (I have a renewed respect for the collective power of wikis and wikipedia in particular).

I also learned how to compare results of google searches depending on which country one is in... yikes
AND
learned about how things get tagged incorrectly on the web. Rather than preventing our students from access, we should be teaching them critical thinking skills. It is not about content, it's about thinking. This is not news to me, but good to be reminded.

When my head was fried, I met up with Matt at the opening reception.
My previous KIVA activities made me an odd sort of celebrity, which Matt S will attest to, at the Tuesday evening ice breaker event....signing KIVA forms, getting interviewed, photographed and blogged by Bob Sprankle. Ah fame.

Tuesday evening ended in the bar of the the Indigo, where I unwound with a lovely glass of Malbec and the All Star game, which was, in the end, never ending.

I moved to my room at midnight and turned off the tv at 1am, with the game still tied at the bootom of the 12th Inning. I am not that into baseball.

That was my Tuesday!

The question is starting to form...so Team MCDS, what will we do with all that we are learning...?
KM

No comments: