Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Curtis' First Post

At the pre-conference workshop that I attended on "Building Learning Communities", I learned how to set up a blog and set up my own Google search engine. I also learned about PODCasts, the Jing Project and Skype video conferencing. Some early implementation thoughts include building a math department search engine with Google; PODCasting classroom lessons both for archival and feedback purposes as well as transforming old practices for my advisee welcome letters, classroom expectations, etc. I am intrigued by Google Docs as a means for collaborative note-taking in class with the students. Perhaps a math department BLOG for facilitating the sharing of projects, ideas, etc..

Someone from our team asked me what was the one thing I walked away with from our sessions so far...it would have to be that I have a responsibility as a teacher to embrace what is clearly the new media for communicating effectively with my students. And yes, I feel I'm already so far behind.

No comments: